View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
G200W Conversion into a 67 Sedan 

Car(s): LS1 Powered EJ Special
I have sourced a G200W fuel injected engine and plan to fit into a 1967 Bellett Sedan, whats required to complete this conversion?

I am interested to know what engine mounts are used or modified or if someone has a spare set I can copy, do I need to modify the sump and if so does anyone have any photos. I would prefer to change the engine back to carbies but I am of the understanding that sourcing a carbie manifold is quite difficult. I would prefer to mount a 5 speed gearbox but not sure what type, it is suggest that a rodeo box but which one?

If anyone has done this conversion and has any pointers that would be great or even if I can come and have a look at your conversion I'm based in SA would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff

Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:53 am

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
Jeff wrote:
I have sourced a G200W fuel injected engine and plan to fit into a 1967 Bellett Sedan, whats required to complete this conversion?

I am interested to know what engine mounts are used or modified or if someone has a spare set I can copy, do I need to modify the sump and if so does anyone have any photos. I would prefer to change the engine back to carbies but I am of the understanding that sourcing a carbie manifold is quite difficult. I would prefer to mount a 5 speed gearbox but not sure what type, it is suggest that a rodeo box but which one?

If anyone has done this conversion and has any pointers that would be great or even if I can come and have a look at your conversion I'm based in SA would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff

Hi Jeff

I have done two of these conversions but some time ago now. http://carnut.info/bellett/eng-swaps/swaps.htm Sump should be fine. There is a thread here using Weber manifolds that can be made. Finding an original carb manifold might prove difficult.
http://www.bellett.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2726&p=26938&hilit=weber+manifold#p26938

Depending on exact engine you have, the oil filter might be either 'vertical' or laying 'horizantal' to front. If the latter, it will interfere with the engine mount. This can be overcome either with the other oil filter housing, or creative mods to the rear of the engine mount on the cross member.
Some DOHCengines (only very early i think) have a sump that will hit the steering rack. Hopefully you have a later engine and this won't be a problem. If it is, you can combine the sump with a Gemini sump (cut and join as required) to make a new sump to clear the rack.

Best to use the DOHC gearbox if you can. Rodeo 5 speed can also be used but ratios are not great. I used one of these in a conversion and another thread mentions the exact Rodeo model to use. http://www.bellett.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2674&p=26133&hilit=rodeo#p26133 You may need to bring the gear lever out in a slightly different place on the hump, depending on what actual box and shifter it has.
If a genuine DOHC 5 speed (pictured) is used, the lever comes out a long way back and much higher. A new trans hump like a GT, will need to be fabricated in that case and welded in. Also, the handbrake lever has to be moved back on the tunnel to clear the shifter. [you could elect to just use the Bellett 4 speed though.] The 5 speed g'box uses a cable operated clutch. You can use this system if you get a cable sytem from a Gemini and alter the clutch pedal to take the end. A largish hole needs to be drilled in firewall to take the cable. Or you could change clutch to hydraulic operation. In one conversion i did this using (i think) a Toyota system.

For either 5 speed, the rear mount under the trans has to be modified as the mount is approx 80mm further back. In fact past the crossmember. There are couple of ways of doing this, you could cut and shut two cross members to get the holes moved back, or extend the existing cross member using some heavy plate. Depending on a posisble engineer being required (?) you might have to use their reccomendations. I doubt anybody has used an Eng. though ;)

Engine mounts can be adapted/fabricated from the ones fitted to the DOHC engine, in the exact style of the Bellett front mounts. Use new/rebuilt rubber engine mounts if possible.

glenn

Attachments:
File comment: 2litre DOHC engine with early EFI
2L_DOHC_box.jpg
2L_DOHC_box.jpg [ 89.54 KiB | Viewed 15976 times ]
5-speed_DOHC_gearbox.jpg
5-speed_DOHC_gearbox.jpg [ 86.38 KiB | Viewed 15977 times ]

Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:32 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): 2 GT Belletts bellett sedan . Florian.gt project.fj Holden. Gemini.lc gtr.datsun240 z
Seems to me that's a lot of work . May be you should give me the motor then I will have a spare for my two . . :lol: gricey

Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:48 am

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
gricey wrote:
Seems to me that's a lot of work . May be you should give me the motor then I will have a spare for my two . . :lol: gricey

you must have been through the same work already though........

Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:52 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): 2 GT Belletts bellett sedan . Florian.gt project.fj Holden. Gemini.lc gtr.datsun240 z
Yep and doing it again . Gricey

Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:54 am

gricey wrote:
Yep and doing it again . Gricey
see, its easy.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:56 am
Profile WWW

Thanks for the info Glen.

The engine pictured is the same so I will need to look at the oil pump/filter to check orientation. The engine comes with a clutch but no gearbox.

Also I have had a look at import monster and there are twin carbie manifold kits for $360 no carbies to suit G180/200W engine. Not to bad for the price. There is also water pumps listed to suit the later belletts 1969/70 if anyone is interested.

There is another forum on Isuzu Piazza's that has info on building a 500hp monster out of the turbo version G200W if your interested, that would certainly get the bellett moving, not sure how the diff or the chassis would handle the power though.

Thanks
Jeff

Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:45 pm

Jeff I modify the rh engine mount from a bellett this way you can set the engine up. I fabricate the left one then fab a right hand one. The mount angles are wrong but it keeps the engine close to the right position while making them up.
I use the bellett gear box with no dramas if you don't have the 5 speed they bolt up.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:37 pm

This question is for Glenn,

I have managed to find a close ratio 5 speed gearbox for the G200W engine have you come across one or heard of one or if anyone else on the forum has come across one of these gearboxes and what Isuzu did it come out of a 117 maybe.

I would like some advice before I make the purchase.

Thanks

This changes nothing in regards to my GT plans?

Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:15 pm

Jeff wrote:
This question is for Glenn,

I have managed to find a close ratio 5 speed gearbox for the G200W engine have you come across one or heard of one or if anyone else on the forum has come across one of these gearboxes and what Isuzu did it come out of a 117 maybe.

I would like some advice before I make the purchase.

Thanks

This changes nothing in regards to my GT plans?

Hi Jeff
I don't know how you could tell if you have a so called close ratio box by looking at it. You would have to do a turn the input shaft and count output rotations in each gear and compare with other boxes..... I think there is a link to a document somewhere on here (can't find it now) that shows all gear box ratios though.
The gear box I have, pictured above is from a 117. If they are so-called 'close ratio' i have no idea.

http://bellett.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2225&p=20502&hilit=gearbox+ratio#p20502

this seems to indicate all DOHC boxes are CR
http://bellett.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1954&p=19894&hilit=gearbox+ratio#p19894

Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:57 am
Profile WWW

i FOUND THE REF TO ISUZU GEAR BOX RATIOS.....Interesting......

THE Rodeo is here also although does not say diesel as such

http://www.ozgemini.com/forums/tech/viewtopic.php?t=2391

Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:35 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]