View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 05, 2024 9:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Ten Desirable used cars that are impossible to find (us) 

Car(s): 1968 Bellett 1300 2dr, 06 Scion XA ,05 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Turbo HO
http://autos.yahoo.com/news/ten-desirab ... -find.html

I found this interesting list of cars today .... :geek:

Mark

Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:57 pm
Profile WWW

Location: 12,450 miles away from the Big Warehouse in Melbourne
My friend, who is a Subaru Impreza / Datsun 510 nut, forwarded that link to me last week, along with another list of JDM cars that placed the 510 above the Bellett. He enjoys whenever that happens. Somebody's going to get a lot of 510 joke gifts...

The ten desirable but impossible to find cars list is interesting.
20 years ago, it was "Who the hell would want to own one of those?".
10 years ago, it was "I wanted a Civic, but my parents got me this, now I want to go race my Civic owning friends".
Now, they've all been wrecked or blown up, none are left, and they become desirable.

Looking at the list, only two or three were popular when they were new. Finding an unmolested CRX, Legend, or Scirocco, being the prime examples. The rest were unpopular or were dogs, and time seems to have healed old wounds. Fiats were not known for reliability. The LeCar was as bad or worse than the Yugo. The Rampage was a miniature El Camino, and a FWD Dodge, both fatal flaws in North America. The Merkur was overpriced and did not live up to its expectations in motorsports. No one ever knew what a NX2000 was or remembers ever seeing one. The Starion was criticized as having a truck engine. And those may be the nicest things anyone ever said about an Impulse, FWD, RWD, or AWD.

Oddly related, I started noticing something strange. Five people in about the last six months, have walked up to me on the street and either asked to buy or complimented me while I was driving what Australians would know as an RB Gemini. Red paint turned pink, dents from the previous owner, stripped interior because of water rot, rattling itself to death from solid engine mounts, a rough looking race car with plates so I can drive it on the street. Either everyone else is catching on to how uninspiring new cars have been for the last ten plus years, or the world is turning upside down.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:08 am

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
Don't like your Piazza (Impulse)? Send it to me!!
ALL it needs is LOVE!

(Theres always room for one more in Rye Park!)

;) Matt.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:23 am

Location: 12,450 miles away from the Big Warehouse in Melbourne
Farmer wrote:
Don't like your Piazza (Impulse)? Send it to me!!

No, I was attempting to present what is or has been public opinion. In the case of the Piazza, uninformed opinions repeated as rumors, over and over, until everyone thinks they are true. And how the list may indicate that the rumors might finally be dying.

Of the others on the list, the Starion is one I have always liked.
I raced against an X19, it's hard to argue against a car with a motor scooter sized engine, that can hold its top speed in a hair pin turn.
But the Dodge, the Ford, the French car, and the Hondas, I would not touch with a ten foot pole.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]