View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Hyundai and Kia owners, don't pay the huge price! 

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
This is off topic, but I have to tell people, just in case you or a friend has a Korean car.
A while back, our Santa Fe dropped the clutch disc from the aircon compressor. The first call to the dealer in Young said the disc was not available separately, so I would need the whole compressor. Price.....wait for it.....$3300.00!! :shock: So it was a hot summer. :oops:
After buying the wrong aftermarket one from Autopro at $750 and returning it, I called a Canberra dealer. The disc is available, only $300. Fixed.

So a month ago, the Santa Fe decided not to start. The scan tool showed no codes, so Dave trailered the car to Canberra for diagnosis. As they found no codes, but suspected the EGR valve, they wanted $370 to diagnose it. Gotta be done, so the next call is a quote for replacement of the stuck valve. $1285. :( The valve was $790 + $20 for gaskets.
Then Dave says, "try Koraps"
www.koraps.com supply genuine parts for all Korean cars. So, online I go, and the price is $209 including gaskets and postage. Thats a quarter the price! 10 days later, its in my hand, in a genuine Hyundai box. :D

We need a front strut, so I rang the dealer. $485. Koraps price, $162. Less than half.
So what about the $50 aircleaner element? $16.

So from now on, all my service items as well as parts are coming direct from Koraps! These local thieving mongrels have cut their own throats.

Out of interest, I looked up the price of that clutch disc. What do you reckon? $50.13 - Thats one sixth the price!!
So now I'm curious. Last year we had to replace the cylinder head after a dopey panel beater failed th bleed the air out of the cooling syatem after repars. The insurance company picked up the $4000 price, plus the labour.
So how much from Koraps? $1455. Yep.

All money that can be better spent, like on Belletts!
Cheers, Matt.

Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:30 pm
Not just Korean!

Went and bought the genuine air flow meter for Wendys 2007 Prado just to be sure. Waited a week and paid $306
I thought I'll check fleabay while out the front of the stealership now that I had the part number on the box, and yep $50.60 and delivered in two days. The pictures were exactly the same.
I know every business has to cover costs and make a bit as well but 6 times the price.
I think I trust banks and the tax office more after that little episode.
They are charging themselves out of business.

Thanks for the lead Matt. I know someone who just bought a van yesterday. Will pass it on.

Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:56 pm

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
my Sport Merc A250 has an upgrade for Apple Car play/Android. $395.00

a few phone calls to the dealer and i got it down to $195.00 Pays to haggle!

Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:25 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
Yeah, good work both of you. I realise places have to make a profit, and margins are short on new cars, but 100% should be enough.

Glenn, the upgrade ought to be free you would think, because they didn't get it right the first time! The march of technology I suppose.

Thinking about the 10 day wait for parts from Koraps, it seems a while if you're in a hurry, but where I live the wait for dealer parts is minimum 3 working days, as they carry very little stock. Then I have to drive the 140 km return trip to collect them. Just on the EGR valve, the difference is enough to pay for a rental car for the extra week!

Cheers, Matt.

Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:24 pm

Car(s): Isuzu Bellett, Morris Minor 1000
Thank you for that Uncle Farmer. Shall check that out should we need anything.

Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:52 pm

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
Farmer wrote:
Yeah, good work both of you. I realise places have to make a profit, and margins are short on new cars, but 100% should be enough.

Glenn, the upgrade ought to be free you would think, because they didn't get it right the first time! The march of technology I suppose.

Thinking about the 10 day wait for parts from Koraps, it seems a while if you're in a hurry, but where I live the wait for dealer parts is minimum 3 working days, as they carry very little stock. Then I have to drive the 140 km return trip to collect them. Just on the EGR valve, the difference is enough to pay for a rental car for the extra week!

Cheers, Matt.

the upgrade was on a new model year (MY) technically, but i argued i should have it for free.......but $200 off is better than nothing. They claim its a module plus software. For the new fangled Apple Car Play/Android upgrade. I hope my phone can use it ! At least their GPS map upgrades are free.
Your Korean contact is one to watch as we have an i30 also.

Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:01 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): GU Patrol, AU ute, 1969 florian deluxe, 1976 Luv & 1980 KB 4x4 isuzu
cheers for that info farmer, know a few friends with the kia/hyundai's will pass it on!

Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]