View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
Another PR90 resto 

Car(s): morris cooper s, GTR XU1,PR90
I introduced myself a couple of weeks ago seeking information about a GTR in Japan. One thing led to another and I now own the PR90 ex Davo Ex Dean. Dean was fantastic going above and beyond in bolting a lot of parts back on the car so it could be transported without having a car load of parts and spares all over the place. Thanks very much for your efforts Dean much appreciated. This now makes two PR90's in Adelaide undergoing restoration. I have made contact with Craig (Claws) and now I have the car at home will be catching up with him soon. We left Adelaide Sunday morning arriving at Deans at 9.00am Tuesday morning, loaded the car checked off my list and set off for Moree for that night. Wednesday blew a trailer tyre coming into Dubbo but Mr Bearepaires quickly fitted a new one to replace the spare and we were soon on our way arriving in Hay Wednesday night. Up early Thursday across that horrible Hay plain again arriving home around 2.00pm. Got spotted coming into Gawler by a couple of mates who happen to be my panel beater and spray painter. They followed me home and helped unload the car and gave it the once over, both gave the thumbs up remarking how straight the body was and that the rust repair work was nothing. I will add to this thread as things progress, I have to clear out my sons VL Calais which is finished except for the engine and gearbox installation then when that goes the GT can move onto the hoist. I expect to start in anger around April May and have given myself twelve months to completion barring any hiccups, the easiest part being the body which will not take long, the hardest being putting it back together and sourcing/ making hard to find bits like seals and rubbers. Dean has already posted pictures of the car loaded up at his place so I will include one here of us at the Hay Caravan Park.
Cheers
Peter

Attachments:
Hay Caravan Park.JPG
Hay Caravan Park.JPG [ 1.37 MiB | Viewed 41643 times ]
Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:57 am

Car(s): PR90, PR91, Teardrop Bellett Sedan, 1979 Pontiac Trans Am Firebird, 1975 HJ Belmont Ute,Yamaha YB100
First important question. What colour will it be

Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:58 am

Its original colour which is.............??

8-)

Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:51 pm

Car(s): 1966 TEARDROP ...MANUAL ...
original colour was the same as Lewis's gt

Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:16 pm

Car(s): '70 PR91,'69 PR20 x 2,'66 PR20,'65? KR20's x 2,'66 ? PR90,2012 d22 STR Navarra.
Which GT. The white or blue. Last I heard he had both.

Dave.

Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:04 am

the 90

Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:04 pm

And the 90 is which colour? I was under the impression that the original colour for the 90 I bought was not white or blue.

Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:20 pm

Car(s): 1967 GT Bellett
Hi Peterd

There are photos of Your car before it was pulled down - somewhere

Anyway its been mentioned that its the same colour as the best pr90 in the country - just my opinion

Regards Flying

Attachments:
Lewis pr90.jpg
Lewis pr90.jpg [ 848.03 KiB | Viewed 41501 times ]
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:30 pm

Thank you for that info. I have the photos, they came with the car and what you have just posted confirmed the colour. It was just getting a bit confusing with what was being said.
Do you live near Craig? He mentioned that there was somebody close by to him that also had a GT. Craig has given me his address and I will catch up with him when time permits, I would love to talk with you and see your car as well if that is possible. You are welcome to come here my phone number is 0407316423
regards
Peter

Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:05 pm

Car(s): 1967 GT Bellett
Peterd

There a 2 of us close by both with GT's

There should be a paint code plate on the top passenger side corner once you open the bonnet

See previous postre colour

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3094&view=previous

Cheers
Flying

Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:00 am

Car(s): PR95 PR20 WASP SWB NH Pajero Superchrged NT Pajero BF SR6 Falcon
Don’t let Lewis see that post, he will have a heart attack, that is his Bellett shown in that photo and it is alive and well. :arrow: :cry:

Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:40 am

by all accounts inside the doors in the engine bay and in the boot were all the colour of Lewis's car there are variations of the colour as well you know ..in foresight I should have just driven it but got carried away in pulling it apart ..why ?? maybe to see how it worked ...I never did get to find that out …………….. thanks to the internet it seems this little 90 will be back on the road its in good knowledgeable hands at last cant wait to see it ….a few years ago say 3 I found its sister car in nth qld it was a sad case I got bits of the wreck (rusted out) and lewis since got the extras ...my 90 days are over still love em just .out of my depth .. history on the 90.it was a 2 owner car ..bought in Sydney by a doctor who was on his way to buy an alpha and saw the gt and owned it then for a few years his family had it in the end as the spare car it was remarkably good in great trim condition ,carpets in front were r/s I will post one day how ...I... found an impossible to find gt pr90 … its a good story and how I was able to extract it from its current owner at the time ….cheers davo .

Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:52 pm

Thanks Flying and thanks Dave for all the information, it is all good stuff. Yes Dave there is colour in places, Dean thought it was like a gun metal grey but looking at Lewis's car that seems lighter than gun metal. Does anybody have any idea what colour Lewis's car is from the colour listing chart? As far as gleaning the info from under the bonnet that information is long gone unfortunately. Also the colour is a ways off yet, need to do all the rust repair work and then think about colour.

cheers

peter

Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:32 pm

Hi Peter,

"Gun Metal Grey" is the common name for the original colour that is on your GT (hiding up under the rear door cards). Some of the guru's who sit on the sideline may wish to help Peter out via PM or send a link with the correct paint code for this. It would be important to get it right the first time.

Also, the photo of Lewis's beautiful GT may look different than in real life due to different computer screens , etc.

Dean

Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:39 pm

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
Dean wrote:
Hi Peter,

"Gun Metal Grey" is the common name for the original colour that is on your GT (hiding up under the rear door cards). Some of the guru's who sit on the sideline may wish to help Peter out via PM or send a link with the correct paint code for this. It would be important to get it right the first time.

Also, the photo of Lewis's beautiful GT may look different than in real life due to different computer screens , etc.

Dean

Getting the paint codes might be a bit difficult unless you can find a paint shop with very old info. Many years back Dulux put their old codes onto Microfische but finding a shop with a reader might be hard too. Or colour match some not too faded part of the car.

Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:51 am
Profile WWW

Thanks Glen,
I was really interested in what this colour was called as there are several Greys on the list. As you say we could get a colour match from some of the deadening on the rear quarter and the Horns also have a grey paint on them but I am not sure if this is original.

Being new to the Bellett world I am not sure how the car will be received in its final form if the shading is all wrong or is it not that critical to fellow owners.

cheers
peter

Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:45 am

Car(s): GU Patrol, AU ute, 1969 florian deluxe, 1976 Luv & 1980 KB 4x4 isuzu
Dont worry if the colour isnt 100 percent perfect, most of us will be happy seeing another brought back to life!

Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:43 am

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
Hello Peter, I'm glad to see you have a very rare and special car and are keen to bring it to life.

When I was 8 my brother Gary bought a new '67 sedan, one of the first shipment into Sydney of metallic painted cars, and it was what we all called "metallic silver-grey". This was something we hadn't seen on a car before, so it was unique. Nowdays of course, shades of grey metallic are the most common thing you see.

So I reckon its admirable if you want to go the purist way and apply the original shade. But it would be just as beautiful in your favourite colour, as new colours are always exciting to see.

My patiently waiting PR91 is also originally this silver grey, but when I do restore it, she will have a new colour. I don't know what yet, but there was a particular HSV burgandy a few years back that I really liked.

I hope you enjoy the process. Please keep on showing us the progress, its great to see.
Cheers, Matt.

Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:24 am

Thanks for your comments guys, it is food for thought. I popped front and back windows out today getting ready to start panel work and found the best example of the original colour under the weather seal.Found a little cancer in the back window area but nothing to be alarmed about. Was always under the impression that gun metal grey was rather dark but the original colour is quite light much like you mentioned Matt a silver grey so now I have something definite to work with. Will get my painter to mix up a small pot and see what we think. I want to have fun with this car and enjoy it so I have to be careful not to over restore it. I do not want it to end up like my Cooper S and XU1 where they hardly get used and definitely do not go out on wet days. I do like the GTR paint scheme which would be very easy to return to original if the car was painted original colour but with GTR black outs. Too early for these decisions just yet but good to toss them around. I am also mindful that I want to put the burgundy carpet back in so I have to pick an exterior colour that goes with that. I will post some pictures of the windows out.
cheers
peter

Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:18 am

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
peterd wrote:
Thanks for your comments guys, it is food for thought. I popped front and back windows out today getting ready to start panel work and found the best example of the original colour under the weather seal.Found a little cancer in the back window area but nothing to be alarmed about. Was always under the impression that gun metal grey was rather dark but the original colour is quite light much like you mentioned Matt a silver grey so now I have something definite to work with. Will get my painter to mix up a small pot and see what we think. I want to have fun with this car and enjoy it so I have to be careful not to over restore it. I do not want it to end up like my Cooper S and XU1 where they hardly get used and definitely do not go out on wet days. I do like the GTR paint scheme which would be very easy to return to original if the car was painted original colour but with GTR black outs. Too early for these decisions just yet but good to toss them around. I am also mindful that I want to put the burgundy carpet back in so I have to pick an exterior colour that goes with that. I will post some pictures of the windows out.
cheers
peter

Would be great if you can keep us updated on progress with Pics. etc. You will have a good audience and advice if needed..

Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:58 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 182 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next