View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
BELLETT Nationals local?? 

OK. The BELLETT Nationals (to use its original and correct name) is on this weekend in NSW. It's been all over NSW in the past, as well as Adelaide, Qld and Tasmania, but it's never been local to Melbourne. Seeing as it all started as an idea with Melbourne based members (Steve and myself), I think it's about time we had it here.
That raises a question tho.... will local BCCV members and Bellett people alike support it because let's be honest, Melbourne based people haven't supported it in the past so am I wasting my time putting this together or will people actually attend and realise what they've been missing out on for the best part of 15 years?
Over to you.

Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:14 am

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
Hi Brett
I was wondering about the next Nats.

Melbourne or Vic does sound like a good likely location since it's not been down this way. Corowa and Albury are about as close as we have had it as you know.
Downside for some maybe the extra distance. I guess we wait and see what the overall consensus maybe.
glenn

Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:13 am
Profile WWW

2020 is already set Glenn. Has been since last year.
Is in Adelaide. Again.... and that's my point.
They always get a really good local turn up because it's in their back yard so I'm testing the waters to see if the same will happen here.
Extra distance just is what it is. Qld had it 1.5 hours from Brisbane, Adelaide is in Adelaide itself, Sydney has had it within a couple of hours of the city a few times, so I reckon it's well due for our turn to have it close to home.
That all being said tho, if there's little or no support (both here and on the club FB page) then I will not be wasting my already limited time on something that those who should be all for it simply won't make the effort to support... And I fear that may be the case as we've seen for too long.

Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:38 am

Car(s): 67 Bellett Auto Sedan, 65 Wasp, 73 Chev Luv, 1/2 A Chev Luv, VX Commodore
Be fine with me as i go to Melbourne at least once a year.
Or Even close to Melbourne like Ballarat or Bendigo.
I would have been at this years but everything kinda fell on me all at once.....including me.

Josh

Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:09 am

You have to think of distance to organise it because you have to make multiple visits to get things in place. Both Ballarat and Bendigo are too far for me to do that. Also knowing the area beforehand is a big help, and I don't know either of them well enough.
But Phillip Island on the other hand....

Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:57 pm

Car(s): 67 Bellett Auto Sedan, 65 Wasp, 73 Chev Luv, 1/2 A Chev Luv, VX Commodore
Never been to Philip Island so would be interesting and if you know the area for cruises and food etc cant see why it couldnt be there.

Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:43 am

Car(s): 3x1965 PR20(Donkey, Jenny n Bundy) 1 1969 PR20(Percy) 2 1968 PR20(Eugine n GT Donor) 1 1968 PR91 GT, 1 1965 Wasp
Glenn wrote:
Downside for some maybe the extra distance.
glenn

I'm only hearing positives here Glenn :mrgreen:
The further the better.......... better ROADTRIP that is :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yeah Phillip Island sounds perfect :P I hope that's right at the bottom of Mexico

Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:23 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
Stickman wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Downside for some maybe the extra distance.
glenn

Yeah Phillip Island sounds perfect :P I hope that's right at the bottom of Mexico

pretty much.

Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:28 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): 1968 PR91 Bellett GT. 2014 ISUZU MU-X, 2016 Jayco 22' Starcraft Caravan, 2013 KIA Reo shopping trolley!!
There has been very few complaints in or from NSW members of the group, we have been to Adelaide, myself twice, Toowoomba along with Albury, Corowa and Euchuca. NSW has always been well represented!

Personally, Philip Island would be a good location, if PI Track could be included even if just for part of the cruise, people who travel don't wish to take too many risks by time trials etc, as they have a long way to get home. Personally I have been to Philip Island race track many times, a beautiful exciting track/part of PI.

Throw it into the mix for 2021 (if this years comes off at Hahndorf SA, or SA might look for 2021), see how it is received.
I feel we should also have another either in or close to the QLD members of our group, I know Donkey loves a long drive, however all should be considered.
THOUGHTS?

Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:33 am

Forget about anything to do with actually driving around the track at PI. That would mean booking the track in advance over 2 years ahead and paying the hire fee. Last time I checked it could only be hired for a full weekend at $6000..... per day. No exceptions.
If you do any to do with speed, add that officials need to be hired. More money. And ambulance hire too
Add that every car needs to meet minimum safety standards. More money.
Add that every driver needs minimum safety equipment. More money.
Add that every driver needs licencing. More money.
And a drum braked Bellett would last less than 2 laps.... and "experts" claim that $500 for an engineer approved bolt on disc brake kit is too expensive.
A Nationals may happen here one day but unless there's local support I won't waste my time and considering none of this would exist without the Victorian input from the start, that's more than disappointing to be honest.

Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:10 am

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
Yeah, where it is , we will go. That's just how it goes. Driving there is one of the best bits. Along with being there, going on runs, and driving home, usually a different way.

Just make a holiday of it I reckon, then there's no rush and no stress, because you're on holidays. Everyone needs a holiday, at least once a year, so just set the time aside and make the Nationals a part of it. This makes it a total benefit if the Nats are in a new location 'cause you get to check out another part of the country. Travelling about the country in your Bellett / other historic Isuzu, what could be better? Going the back roads to avoid being pushed to do speeds you don't want to? Even more fun. That's the great thing about our little old cars, they're reliable and comfortable and fun, and people come up and share their memories when you frequently stop and see another little point of interest / cake shop.

Sure, you may have a little mechanical problem, but pack a toolkit and a few spares and you will be able to sort it most likely, and if not jump on a tilt tray for free from NRMA, and your mates at the Nats will probably have what you need. I've only ever had to do this once when we were almost home from Toowoomba, and the Florian developed a brake problem. (Whoever fitted the discs to the front should have removed the little valve from the end of the master cylinder.) The limit of other problems in 14 years has been a fuel filter element, a fuel pump diaphragm, a valve clearance adjustment, and a loose main carby jet.

So Melbourne would be excellent, never been there for a Nats. Never seen those dandenongs or Phillip Island or Gippsland or the snowy places. So many potentially great runs! I'm sure the locals would get amongst it if it were on. I'm not too worried about a race track, no cake shops!

Cheers, see you all in Adelaide!
Matt.

Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]