View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Distributor Assembly 

Car(s): morris cooper s, GTR XU1,PR90
As you know I am restoring a PR90 and we finally have the engine running and recently it underwent a run in and tuning on a dyno. The issue we have is we do not believe that the distributor supplied with the car is correct. It does not have an "O" ring on the main shaft like all the other distributors I have and it has a different clamping mechanism to the other distributors. It is also longer in the shaft hence the spacer ring. I can put the correct clamp on it but then it will also need some form of gasket to stop oil from coming up and out the shaft. I believe this is what the "O" ring on the correct distributor does. It has been converted to electronic ignition and the engine does not miss a beat but we have this nagging suspicion that it is not correct. I have several spare distributors here but none for a GT so If I rebuild a correct one I will need to make sure the curve is correct. Can any of you help me with these questions and where I may find the documentation on the distributor curve as it is nowhere in the workshop manuals that I have. I have attached a picture of the distributor that we are currently running in the engine.

Attachments:
IMG_3097.JPG
IMG_3097.JPG [ 191.36 KiB | Viewed 3472 times ]
Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:29 am

Further to my previous post above I have gone through my parts bin and found three distributors. The part numbers on them are as follows:
8230-0093 according to the parts manual is for a G150 or G150D
8230-0086 Unknown what this belongs to and the same goes for 5-81300-016-0.
Perhaps someone can help me identify what the last two belong to.
Any help with this would be appreciated.

Regards
Peter

Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:37 am

Car(s): '70 PR91,'69 PR20 x 2,'66 PR20,'65? KR20's x 2,'66 ? PR90,2012 d22 STR Navarra.
Hi Peter.
82300086 will suit G150C and G160 engines up to 1966.
82300093 will suit G150C-1. 1967. The difference between these 2 distributors is the cam, balance weight (governor) springs and the
vacuum advance. Isuzu lists a dizzy for the G161 late '68.
I haven't any records of the 5.81300016.0 dizzy. When GM got involved, there was an upgrade on the part numbers by adding a 9 or 5
in the prefix and a 0 in the suffix. All my late books have 9.82300---.- for the distributor number. I haven't any books for the
commercial side of Isuzu. e.g. Elf.
Sorry that I couldn't be of more assistance.

Dave.

Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:46 pm

Hi Dave
Thanks for the info. The 8230-0086 is pretty sad but has a good vacuum unit that I have put on 8230-0093 as that distributor is in quite good condition but did not have a vacuum int. I have spoken with Tom Amos and he has informed me that he believes the distributor that we currently have in the engine is from a Datsun 120Y and although it performed well on the dyno and is currently set up to run in the engine I want to try and use an original one. The 120y distributor has a totally different advance curve to the bellet one.
I have been in contact with Performance Ignition in Melebourne and they have advised me that they can recondition one of the distributors which includes the vacuum unit and recurve to suit the motor. They have vacuum units for these distributors on the shelf you just have to supply an exchange unit.
I need to give them the cam timing, lift,duration and compression, from that they will re do the unit so I have decided to send them the 8230-0093 distributor.
I appreciate your advice with this as it fills in the missing holes.

thanks again
Regards
Peter

Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]