View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Munro Shock Absorbers. 

Car(s): GT.
Has anyone had any experience in problems Munro shockies recently? :shock:
Not so long ago, I fitted 2 new Munro shocks to the rear of the GT, with unsatisfactory results.

Under the car last weekend and one shock has leaked oil all over the rear suspension and backing plate, the rubber on the swing arm has absolutely had it, however I had not experienced any knocking and it wasn't found until I was working under the car, maybe found it just in time. :evil:

Just wondering if their quality is becoming a question, would you believe it they are just out of the guarantee!!! ;)

Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:53 am

Car(s): 68gt coupe , 98 toyota prado
no ive had no trouble with munro shock got them all round , done a few miles tassie to coona and back last year and a few miles in tassie no prob yet :D :D :D :D :D :D

Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:22 am

Car(s): GU Patrol, AU ute, 1969 florian deluxe, 1976 Luv & 1980 KB 4x4 isuzu
every brand has a bad batch every now and then, i remember where i used to work a whole lot of front shocks for vb-vp commodores came through and in the space of 6 months we had done around 12 or so warranty claims on them. Our usual yearly warranty claims on all shocks was around 10 or so! we also used to push warranty shocks through when they were out by a month or 2 it was just good customer care.
personally though i have not used many monroe shocks since they attempted those very ordinary sensa trac shocks, what a steaming pile they were!
have you spoken to where you purchased the shocks from? never know if your reasonable about it they may help out?

Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:04 am

i've never had trouble with monroe stuff, but as said, that doesn't mean a dud can get into the world too.
as for gabriel stuff tho.... let's just say they sell it at Super-Crap Auto now for a reason....

Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:07 am

wouldnt put gabriels on anything.

Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:51 am

Car(s): Roman Red 1965 Sedan, Mint 67 Sedan Auto, 1967 GT , 1.5x 1967 sedans, 1968 Deluxe Sedan, 1965 Wasp Ute (Resto project)
Go Pedders Gas and only the soft ones as next level up is real hard and stiff...

Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:43 am

Car(s): 1968 PR91 Bellett GT. 2014 ISUZU MU-X, 2016 Jayco 22' Starcraft Caravan, 2013 KIA Reo shopping trolley!!
Thanks Guys, if they do not go Warranty, :evil: I will go Pedders I think.
Anyone got a part number please for the rear of the GT in Pedders ?????
I will need them before Coona.
Dave M.

Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:15 am

Car(s): BA Falcon, 68 Bellett
Agree on that one.
You dont need a part number they are just fit Holdens HR-HT.
MrFibbles can confirm this.

And yes for a car you drive all the time use the soft ones.
Bella has the middle range ones and is firm !!!!!

Cheers
Rob

Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:59 pm

Car(s): 68gt coupe , 98 toyota prado
thats rite h-k holden need 2 sets of fronts, 2 fit fromt and rear on bellett

Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:20 pm

Car(s): 1968 PR91 Bellett GT. 2014 ISUZU MU-X, 2016 Jayco 22' Starcraft Caravan, 2013 KIA Reo shopping trolley!!
Hi Rob and Rod,
Thanks Guys, I keep foregtting the Holden shockies fit, hopefully they will go through the hole in the swing arm OK, some of those gas shockies are a bit larger in diameter than the standard ones.
I won't be doing anything until I hear officially if the Munro is going to be covered by warranty or not, the Garage I boiught them from was going to try because he knows my car and also knows it does not cover many klms. Anyway I will keep you in the loop.
Thank you again for your advice, it is a pity you two Gents can't make Coona!!
Dave M.

Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:43 am

its good that the garage is going to try for you, always good when its someone that knows the car. pedders had three different shocks for the front of the holdens touring black (softest), comfort gas (firmer but still not harsh!) and sports ryder (firm sports ride). We put the comforts in RobSA car and its firm, i would suggest the touring blacks for a more comfortable ride.
Another option is the KYB shocks, they are a very nice standard replacement shock, usually reasonable price too.

Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:13 am

Thank you Mr F, I will let you know how I go!!
DM.

Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:49 pm

Just a footnote guys... HR Holden type units are best in standard to slight lowered Bellett's, not really low ones like my GT and race car. Use HQ Holden units in that case. Reason is the HQ ones are shorter stroke and won't bottom out where HR ones will. I found this out years ago the hard way...

Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:52 am

Thanks Brett, I will start looking around doesn't look the like Garage I deal with has been able to do anything!!
Hopefully they will be off the shelf.
DM.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:29 pm

To All of you in Bellett Land that have assisted me with advice, THANK YOU AGAIN!

GOOD NEWS!!! :D Munro shockies are going to replace FOC!! Standing by their Warranty even though outside the warranty period! :o

I deal with a very supportive Mechanic in Mudgee, Gladstone Street Mechanical, I always had first class service from this business at very reasonable cost when work was required by a mechanic, also when the GT's rear wheel bearings required replacement, they did the job and very promptly after I received new collars from Peter McKill.

Thank you again gents, SEE YOU IN COONA.

Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]