View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
TP Magna disks brakes to Bellett 

Car(s): Roman Red 1965 Sedan, Mint 67 Sedan Auto, 1967 GT , 1.5x 1967 sedans, 1968 Deluxe Sedan, 1965 Wasp Ute (Resto project)
like your work, Glenn.

My sedan has mitsubishi disks but not sure which ones. do you want any pictures of the setup.
it was done by someone in Melbourne who had some connection to the BCCV at the time?
i suggest it was 5 or more years ago.

OZ

Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:42 am

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
I think you mean 8mm plate not 18mm there JT.

I had already thought of doing much the same thing, machining the thicker plate. Thats fine for me, as i have a Mill but for most, would be individual maching from a supplier and probably expensive. Hence why the two conversions i have seen doing this use 6mm plate only. While it appeasr to be adequete under normal use on those cars so far, getting it engineeered might be tricky. ie probably impossible with 6mm plate. One is supposed to have a full engineers report here for a brake conversion. Not just the adaption, but the choice of master cylinder and front back balance. I suspect also that a conversion to dual master would be a requirment also for those running a single master cylinder. And milling the plate down might not be cosha either !

The actual 'shape' of the bracket i have already determined, as seen in a paper template in this thread. But I think finding a more suitable caliper that has more offset and so no machining of a 8mm plate would be a better idea.

glenn

Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:46 pm
Profile WWW

Location: 12,450 miles away from the Big Warehouse in Melbourne
I picked 18 mm out of the air, partly because it would be easy to see the material three times thicker than the offset.

Some things I was thinking of:
The holes in the spindle and in the caliper do not appear to be threaded. If the plate is up around 3/8 inch thick, it could be threaded to accept the bolt. This might be a solution if there is any clearance issue with the end of the bolt and a nut sticking out and rubbing the rotor.
There is going to be some flexing from side to side. These are single piston calipers. The piston pushes on the back side, the force is passed through the slide pins and bracket to push the opposite direction on the other side of the caliper. Slide pins don't usually work perfectly, or very well. That's why most brake rotors wear more on the back side than the front (because the force is not transmitted equally or very well to the opposing pad through the slide pins and bracket assembly). More thickness in the bracket, and/or a raised flange around the outer circumference of the bracket, will help a lot. The 90-93 Gemini rear disc brake brackets are a little over 4 mm thick, but are stamped with a turned down edge, forming a flange around the outside edge (and caliper mounting holes) that is 14 mm thick.

The brake data requirement sounds like an issue. Even bigger than the machine access for anyone trying to make a conversion themselves.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:26 am

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
yes, its a bit of a tricky conversion unless we can find the right combination of caliper also. I don't think the Magna is the one to go for so one needs to spend a lot of time at a wrecking yard....

Some of the Mitshubishi's have the stamped plate also which is a great way to get stiffness into a thinner plate. But doing this by welding a 'return' [for want of a better name] around the dge is a no no also. ie no welding allowed. As you might have gathered, we have many rules here in Oz! Designed to protect us all. ;)

Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:38 am
Profile WWW

back onto this briefly. Without taking my disk and calipers off (GT) can anybody tell me the bolt spacing on a GT caliper mounting holes?

Or have a GT mounting bracket they could measure up for me for the spacing.

glenn

Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:56 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): Gt Bellett, Rover 90, Rover 75 ,327 hk Monaro, 307 ht Ute, Mazda 6 wagon.
Hi Glenn have just measured a caliper and the spacing is 89mm so this is an imperial size of 3.500 inches hope this helps regards peter.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:10 am

gt 161 wrote:
Hi Glenn have just measured a caliper and the spacing is 89mm so this is an imperial size of 3.500 inches hope this helps regards peter.

Many thanks Peter. I am looking for a better caliper than the TP Magna one. It's too big and mounts are very wide. I doubt there is anything that just bolts on but i wanted to know the dimensions. Thanks again. Glenn

>>>> this is an interesting page for disk conversions,although its for a Gemini.
http://www.turbogemini.com/Option%202%20-%20Performance%20Disks.htm

The disk rotor they use is 22mm thick, while the TP Magna is 24mm so the caliper is probably unsuitable. Not sure if one can legally reface the rotor down to that thickness. I wonder what car that caliper is used on?

UPDATED: TP min thickness is 22.4mm so legally, cant reduce it to 22mm. Need to find another caliper still.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:50 pm
Profile WWW

Although this conversion appears to have been done by on at least 2 Bellett's, I don't think i will pursue it any further.

As indicated in another thread, there is another very promising conversion nearing completion right now. I am sure further info will be available here in due course.

Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:11 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): Isuzu Bellett, Morris Minor 1000
Datsun 1200 or any Datsuns close??

Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:44 am

Car(s): Isuzu Bellett, Morris Minor 1000
Or too impossible to get parts for now days?

Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:46 am

Its not up to me to give more info. Sorry. As alluded to in the other thread, info is coming.

Rest assured, the parts are very easy to get and you can even get new rotors.

Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:07 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3