View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Wheel Bearing Part Numbers 

Location: 12,450 miles away from the Big Warehouse in Melbourne
I located front wheel bearings some time ago, and thought I would put the information I found here.

This is for Bellett GT, which has front disk brakes. Front drum brakes may be different.

The outer bearing removed from the vehicle (who knows if it was original) was marked as NSK LM11949. The root number is 1949. This translates into a common trailer bearing in the US, assigned a part number of "A-2", and available from Federal Mogul. Open the little box and it says NSK LM11949 on the bearing, because Federal Mogul are just repackaging the NSK bearing.

The inner bearing was more of an adventure.
The bearing and inner race have a part number of 1922.
This bearing can be used with several different outer races to fit different applications of different sizes. The outer race for this one is a part number 1988.
As it turns out, this is another bearing commonly used in trailers. However, for some reason, it is not available in North America. It can be ordered from a bearing retailer in Europe, where I was able to find a Koyo brand with a part number of "HI-CAP 1988R/22". They said the NSK brand equivalent was back ordered until some time in late 2009.

I need to do the rear brakes, and planned to do the rear wheel bearings while I had the drums off. I am now realizing that this will involve removing the rear axle shafts. I will see what it looks like once I get the other front back onto the ground and the back up in the air...

Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:40 am

Forgot about the inner seals for the front hubs.

I was unable to find a match for what came off the vehicle. It appeared to be a complete rubber seal that seated flush with the inner face of the hub.

I had to substitute a Carquest / Federal Mogul PN 4249. It has a metal outside and rubber inside which flares out for a wider sealing surface where it touches the axle. The metal outer ring is L shaped in section view. It seats against the inside of the hub and the end of the hub. I had the edge of the outer ring trimmed down on a lathe to match the outside diameter of the hub because I was worried that it might rub against the flared edge of the dust shield on the spindle.

Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:36 pm

I am unable to find spindle nut retainers. This is the stamped metal piece that fits over the end of the spindle nut, with eight slots to allow the cotter pin to pass through and prevent the nut from coming off the spindle.

The only sizes I am finding from auto parts stores are SAE inch sizes, and the metric sizes that are close enough to substitute inch sizes.
The spindle nut is 16mmx1.5 thread, which is close enough to 5/8 inch to substitute.
But, the hex size (across the outside of the nut) is 26mm, which would correspond to 1 1/64 inch. 1 1/8 inch is the closest I can find, which would be 28.6 mm, a little too big.

Is there another more common vehicle, one that might be common to the US too, that uses the same size spindle nut and spindle nut retainer?

Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:47 pm

on every Bellett i've seen, they've never had those nut retainers.
all the nuts on the front end, including the sub axles/spindles, ball joints, tie rod ends, etc., on a Bellett that had a split pin requirement were "castlated" (sp??) nuts, which are the type that have the raised sections with slots between them for the pins to pass through.

Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:04 am

Car(s): Isuzu DMax LSU, Isuzu MUX, 1979 117 Coupe.
PR91 wrote:
on every Bellett i've seen, they've never had those nut retainers.
all the nuts on the front end, including the sub axles/spindles, ball joints, tie rod ends, etc., on a Bellett that had a split pin requirement were "castlated" (sp??) nuts, which are the type that have the raised sections with slots between them for the pins to pass through.

Wrong Wrong And still Wrong the green beastie had castilated nuts and the sedan hubs I dug out from the back of the back shed has the capping cage type. I have others somewhere in the parts binn

Tue May 05, 2009 7:59 am

JT191 wrote:
I am unable to find spindle nut retainers. This is the stamped metal piece that fits over the end of the spindle nut, with eight slots to allow the cotter pin to pass through and prevent the nut from coming off the spindle.

I may have found a match for this one.
The trick seems to be to find the full name, which is "axle spindle nut retainer".

This is a Dorman 615-167. It does not show any vehicle make and model application or cross reference. But it measures 1 1/16 inch hex and to fit over 5/8 inch threaded center. That's the closest I have seen to 26 mm hex and the apparent size of the center.

Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]