View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Brake Conversion Design Thoughts 

Location: 12,450 miles away from the Big Warehouse in Melbourne
I'm reading down the "Sigma Brakes" thread, and noticing a few things that I wanted to get reactions to.

I am starting out with the GT, which uses brake disks which bolt to the back of the hubs. The Sigma conversion for the Sedans (which came with drum brakes) is using a more modern style, where the disk slides over the lug studs and is sandwiched between the wheel and the hub. The first time I took the front wheels off the GT, I looked at the way the disks attached to the hubs, and asked myself why anyone would design something that required me to remove the hub and bearings to get to the rotor. And I started thinking of how to redesign the hub to accept a disk that would install from the front, like the Sigma disk. (In hind site, rebuilding the stock brakes and reproducing all the pieces to restore them has been roughly twice as expensive as building a full bore racing brake system...)

More recently, I have been working on a more modern FWD car, with the disk that slides over the lug studs onto the hub. I have been attempting to put a Wilwood Dynapro caliper onto a 9.7 inch disk, and fit this behind a 14 inch diameter wheel. The caliper extends well past the wheel mounting face. The entire package is mounted so shallow, that only a few racing wheels will clear at the back of the wheel spokes and the inside of the rim. Now the big problem is the curvature at the base of the spokes and lack of clearance adjacent to the hub and disk face...

I have started to appreciate the idea of mounting the disk on the back side of the hub, like the GT. It provides a huge amount of space for caliper clearance, especially with a car like the Bellett, which limits wheel fitment to around 14x5.5. There is just a huge amount of space between the disk and the back side of the wheel allowing for bigger disks and calipers than the more modern cars with the sandwich style rotors.

Has anyone considered reproducing the GT hubs on a larger scale as the basis of upgrading the brakes for the Sedans?

Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]